PAD 20 - Absolutely Beginning Painting Workshop
with Suzy Ferriss
A beginning one day workshop that presents to students the absolute basics of painting. Students will learn to work with acrylics, while becoming familiar with the techniques and styles of other media such as oil and watercolor. This is the perfect class for those new to art, as well as for those who want to further develop their skills.
- Acrylic paints. You will need at the minimum the 3 primaries (red, yellow, blue), the 3 secondaries (orange, green, violet), and white and black. I advise that you purchase a 12 step color wheel from the art supply store or find a color wheel in an art text which you can use as a reference when purchasing your supplies. (try to match your paints to the colors on the color wheel as closely as possible.) You can buy the tubes of paint individually or in a set. The purchase of additional colors is optional. Liquitex makes a good line of acrylic paints. Some recommended colors are: titanium white, ivory black, cadmium red light, yellow light hansa, cadmium yellow light, cobalt blue, prism violet, cadmium orange, and light green permanent.
- 3 or 4 synthetic brushes suitable for use with acrylics. Should be assorted rounds and flats, ranging in size from small detail brush to 1" flat.
- One small prepared canvas (stretched or board).
- Disposable paper palette pad or plastic mixing tray (styrofoam or paper plates work well also).
- 2 plastic cups for water.
- Absorbent cotton rags or paper towels for cleaning and blotting.
- Sketch pad, suitable for mixed media, approx. 14" x 17" and/or
- Bristol board pad, medium finish, approx. 18" x 24".
- Sharpened drawing pencil (hb or 2b recommended).
- Eraser (art gum, pink pearl, and/or kneaded eraser).
- Scotch magic tape, painter’s tape, or masking tape.
- Your choice of other painting media, such as watercolors, gouache, or colored inks.
- Sheet or roll of graphite paper
About the Instructor: Suzy Ferriss is a multidisciplinary artist who has worked in the fields of drawing and painting, puppetry theater, filmmaking, photography, and writing. She currently teaches a variety of art classes that include drawing, acrylic painting, abstract painting, watercolor, color theory, and collage. Ms. Ferriss has been the recipient of numerous grants and awards towards her work and has participated in both group and solo exhibitions in the U.S. and in Europe.
Nov 3rd, 2019
Sun from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Carriage House, Ground Floor
980 Briarcliff Road Northeast
ATLANTA, GA 30306 Get directions
Room: Painting/Drawing Studio 1