PAD 14 - Self Expression & Exploration in Oil Painting
with Nathaniel Emerson
This is an adult painting class.
This class is designed to guide students to find their inner artist and explore conscious and subconscious ideas – much like painters throughout history have found inspiration. The class is suitable for all levels and includes basic instruction for using oil paints as well as composition, subject matter, and concepts.
- Paint (Artist or high grade paint recommended): - Titanium White - Unbleached Titanium - Cadmium Red (Medium or Light) - Cadmium Yellow (Medium or Light) - Pthalo Blue - Cobalt Blue - Viridian (a rich dark green) - Alizarin Crimson - Burnt Sienna - Burnt Umber. Add any other colors of your choosing.
- Mediums and Solvents: Liquin- Sun thickened linseed oil, - Odorless Turpenoid, (not turpentine)
- Other necessary materials: - Various brushes... different sizes and shapes. Make sure to get at least one “round” and one “flat” brush. Make sure they are meant for oil paint; the more variations the better. (Artist grade brushes are essential)
- Palette: Disposable palette paper or a reusable palette
- Rags, (old washcloth or shop rag)
- Palette knife
- 2 containers with lids. (We will use these to mix and store our mediums.)
- Paper, (News print pad, sketch pad, or typing paper)
- Carrying case for everything
- Pre-stretched canvas, (at least 3). Many will be used, but only one will be necessary for the first class
- Other materials may be added as class progresses.
About the Instructor: Nathaniel Emerson is a practicing Atlanta artist with a background primarily in painting and diorama building. He graduated from the Atlanta College of Art in 2005, where he studied painting, photography and videography, graduating with with a degree in studio art. As an artist, his paintings are inspired by surrealism, abstract expressionism and the contemporary New Liepzig School movement in Germany. He has been a painting instructor at Callanwolde Fine Arts Center since 2009 and also teaches at The Paideia School. His paintings and other work can be seen at www.artroundhouse.com.
Sep 11 - Oct 30th, 2019
Wed for 8 weeks from 7:30 - 9:30 pm
Carriage House, Ground Floor
980 Briarcliff Road Northeast
ATLANTA, GA 30306 Get directions
Room: Painting/Drawing Studio 1