PAD 12 - Abstract Painting
with Suzy Ferriss
only 2 seats left
This adult painting course introduces students to the art of abstract painting as they study the various styles and methods of such modern masters as Kandinsky, Rothko, Frankenthaler, and more. Painting techniques explored include staining, impasto, tape, drip, mixed media, etc. This class is suitable for all levels.
- Acrylic paints: You will need the 3 primaries (red, yellow, blue), the 3 secondaries (orange, green, violet), and white and black. I advise that you purchase a 12-step color wheel from the art supply store or find a color wheel in an art text which you can use as a reference when purchasing your paints. (Try to match your paints to the colors on the color wheel as closely as possible.) You can buy the tubes of paint individually or in a set. The purchase of additional colors is optional. Liquitex and Golden both have a good line of acrylic paints. Some recommended colors are: titanium white, ivory black, cadmium red light, yellow light hansa, cadmium yellow light, cobalt blue, prism violet, cadmium orange, and light green permanent.
- 3 or 4 synthetic brushes minimum suitable for use with acrylics. Should be assorted rounds and flats, ranging in size from small detail brush to 1" flat.
- Disposable paper palette pad or plastic mixing tray (styrofoam or paper plates work well also)
- 2 plastic cups for water
- Absorbent cotton rags or paper towels
- Sketch pad, suitable for mixed media or Bristol Board pad, medium finish, approx. 14" x 17"
- 1 canvas board or 1 pre-stretched & primed canvas, any size
- Sharpened drawing pencil (2H, H, or HB recommended)
- Scotch magic tape or painters tape
- Magazines with interesting imagery
- Sheet or roll of graphite paper
Optional: Glue such as white glue or glue stick, Scissors
You can order all supplies and have them ready for you at your class on the first day by ordering from binders! Abstract Painting supplies available here: https://bindersart.com/supply-lists/11769-callanwolde-abstract-painting-with-suzy-ferriss.html
About the Instructor: Suzy Ferriss is a multidisciplinary artist who has worked in the fields of drawing and painting, puppetry theater, filmmaking, photography, and writing. She currently teaches a variety of art classes that include drawing, acrylic painting, abstract painting, watercolor, color theory, and collage. Ms. Ferriss has been the recipient of numerous grants and awards towards her work and has participated in both group and solo exhibitions in the U.S. and in Europe.
Sep 4 - Nov 13th, 2019
Wed for 11 weeks from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Carriage House, Ground Floor
980 Briarcliff Road Northeast
ATLANTA, GA 30306 Get directions
Room: Painting/Drawing Studio 1